This was not on the family favorite recipe list...but it is now! I was looking for a quick easy dessert to serve after dinner last week to celebrate the end of mid-term exams. I pulled out a cookbook that I have had for ages Kitchen Keepsakes by Bonnie Welch & Deanna White. My husband and I used to go to Vermont every weekend to explore antique shops and would always stop in The Jelly Mill establishment while in Manchester. This is where I purchased this cookbook and have kept it handy because my favorite apple pie recipe is included, which I will share later.
This was a last minute idea, so I do not have pictures, but I will take them the next time I make this cake. And there will be a next time!
The recipe:
1 1/2 Cups boiling water
1 Cup oatmeal ( I used Quaker Oats- Quick Oats)
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup shortening ( I use Crisco)
2 eggs
1 1/2 Cup Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. cocoa ( I use Hershey's)
1 Cup chocolate chips (I use Nestle Toll House)
1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
Pour boiling water over oatmeal in small bowl and let stand 10 minutes. Cream sugars & shortening in separate bowl; add eggs and beat until smooth. Add oatmeal and mix well. Add flour, soda, salt and cocoa. Beat 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips ( I used the mini chips). Pour into greased and floured 8 x 12" pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup chips ( I used mini) and 1/2 cup nuts*** over top. Bake in 350` oven for 35-40 minutes.
***I have this after the nuts because I do not like chopped nuts in my cakes. So this is purely a preference thing and I just wanted to let you know that the original recipe did include them.
This cake came out warm and gooey and was very good! I believe my family invented their own favorite take on this too-
Take 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream and place in bowl with 1 piece of cake. Microwave for 15-20 seconds. Mash and stir the ice cream and cake together. Apparently, this made "THE best dessert EVER".
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment